lantern vise

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
hansblix1

lantern vise

Post by hansblix1 »

Interested in a lantern vise - all these years and I've never used one.

Gentleman on eBay who makes them (and says CCF members "don't like [him] much" :shock: ) hasn't got any, and OCP does have a vise + 242-sized insert, but costs around $250.

Without any other vises to shop for comparison:
1. do you use such a vise, and if so, have you found it to be worth the investment?
2. are there less expensive alternatives (to the $250)? (I'm happy to support OCP, and have for many years when parts are needed - just seems a bit costly for the vise)

Thank you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: lantern vise

Post by Tgarner01 »

The only time I've ever thought it would be handy to have a vise is on 502s with the stuck burner bowl... A standard vise does everything I need for dissembling GPA's
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

hansblix1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:44 am Interested in a lantern vise - all these years and I've never used one.

Gentleman on eBay who makes them (and says CCF members "don't like [him] much" :shock: ) hasn't got any, and OCP does have a vise + 242-sized insert, but costs around $250.

Without any other vises to shop for comparison:
1. do you use such a vise, and if so, have you found it to be worth the investment?
2. are there less expensive alternatives (to the $250)? (I'm happy to support OCP, and have for many years when parts are needed - just seems a bit costly for the vise)

Thank you.

Pretty sure the one Mike has listed is priced lower than they originally sold for when I believe Ernie Hiatt was reproducing them.
I will own one someday, lately I’ve been spending all of my monies on GPA.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

BTW The folks that own them, appear to love them.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

One probably could make a "tank vice" out of wood. Maybe two pieces of 2"x4" wood with a circular indention carved out of each, a strong hinge on one end, to make something like a giant nut cracker or jar lid tool. Put rubber in the carved out area to pad/grip the tank.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Wood versions have been done before. Some use B&D WorkMates with the bench dogs in the center position to grip the fount. a wood version could be coupled with a WorkMate as well.

I grip the valve in my bench vise and turn he fount like a wheel and add a strap wrench as needed. - -only a 275 has sneered at the effort -I need to heat the glue on the threads...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

hansblix1

Post by hansblix1 »

Thanks for all the input. Got some good ideas and context. Helps a lot!
Kind regards
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I'm thinking you haven't tried a strap wrench. I picked one up at a yard sale and find it priceless! Strap wrench around fount with one hand and tool on the valve with the other hand and presto.
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I'd love to find one and give it a try.
Rob
kellyblues
Super Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

As mentioned the vice in the picture is a Ernie Hiatt vice. It's modeled after the original Coleman repair center vices. I bought one from Ernie years and years ago and haven't regretted one little bit. It's worth every penny of 250. I've had 100's of GPA' s clamped in my vice over the years and it's never let me down. That ring also holds the 530. The only thing you can't clamp with the the vice and the ring pictured is the Peek line. The Peek line uses a different insert, which I have.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
kellyblues
Super Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

A few pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
hansblix1

Post by hansblix1 »

Oh man! Those photos might have sold me. That's a nice set up!

Thanks guys!
242 Burner

Post by 242 Burner »

Not a tool I would use. You can really tweak and scratch the bottom of your lantern with one.
1928 L-220 "Slant" from Russ Baldwin
1919 Air-O from Jerry Engbring
500 Speedmaster
510 Military Stovers
Great Lakes Collectors
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

I've got a workmate and it is just not sturdy or heavy enough to put any real grunt into. I also see where people dent their tanks with strap wrenches. The $$$ tool looks interesting and probably provides something to grip on to with the hands, but probably not a lot of torque multiplication over just grabbing the tank with the hands and twisting. When I get to where I can't put the valve assembly in the vice and twist, then it will be tool time.
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

I had to get that burner plate off my $10 502, and while the tool would have been nice, it's a lot of money. I ended up using a chain wrench and an old leather belt. I probably looked like a monkey you know whating a football, but I got it apart. Honestly, I'd like that tool in hard polymer at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. you could probably make it in a 3D printer
Dan

looking for 1/61, any Coleman lantern
Found 10/95 birthday lantern!
Paddywonka
Colemanaholic

Post by Paddywonka »

Got this one from greenmountainmolds on ebay for $115. Dan, kept holding off, buying another 237 lantern instead. Well made & makes removing a valve from fount sooo easy! Made a small modification, added extra set of base holes so as to handle 242 size founts. Handles all lanterns. Will last a few life times. Excellently made. Rubber lined jaws, hold like a chap & yet do not mar the finish. Mounted to block of hard wood, it goes in or out of bench vise in seconds.Only sorry I did not get one sooner.
Lantern vise z.jpg
Lantern vise1 z.jpg
Last edited by Paddywonka on Sun May 23, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Hard is what makes it great.”
"If they live long enough, old dogs collect the most bones"
Chuckfromtexas

Post by Chuckfromtexas »

I just watched some of the “Old Town Coleman “ videos today on u-tube. One of them was building an adjustable lantern base vice out of 3/4 plywood and bicycle inner tube. Will be building one next week for myself. I’ve seen some Coleman videos but never had seen these.
Chuck
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Chuckfromtexas wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:13 am I just watched some of the “Old Town Coleman “ videos today on u-tube. One of them was building an adjustable lantern base vice out of 3/4 plywood and bicycle inner tube. Will be building one next week for myself. I’ve seen some Coleman videos but never had seen these.
I built one. Works fantastic!
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Chuckfromtexas

Post by Chuckfromtexas »

Those U-tubes came up after l watched Deans video which was very cool too.
Chuck
kellyblues
Super Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

hansblix1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:11 am Oh man! Those photos might have sold me. That's a nice set up!

Thanks guys!
I figured those pictures would get ya. :lol: :lol:
242 BurnerJC wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:22 am Not a tool I would use. You can really tweak and scratch the bottom of your lantern with one.
Keep in mind the one pictured was designed by the same company that designed the things you clamp in it. It clamps symmetrically , 360° around a fount. I've got all the fancy dancy check valve removal tools. I remember when Mike Wells was designing the ones he makes. I believe there's 3 versions because that's how many of his I have. His design is based on his ingenuity and the input he received from us here in the CCF long ago. However I very rarely use any of those. Why? Because with this vice, I don't need to. I've got a check valve removal tool based on the original Coleman check valve removal tool. I clamp something in my vice, put the CV tool in the tube, but my body weight against it and snap it loose. That vice is designed by the people that designed what's getting clamped in it. It doesn't and won't " tweak " anything.

Some of the other vices out these are nice, and they are cheaper to purchase. But every last one of them come with a trade off. They don't clamp evenly 360° around a fount. Some come close, but nowhere near like the one pictured. Again, it's designed by the same people who designed what's getting clamped in it.

Someone mentioned the possibility of scratches. Yes, that's possible, but easily avoided. Simply place a piece of heavy tissue paper over the vice, push the lantern/stove in the vice and clamp it down. Won't budge and it won't leave even the smallest blemish. I learned that one the hard way.

I'll never forget the first time I used one. I was at Ernie's all the time. He had tried and tried getting me to buy one. Like everyone else I was having a hard time justifying the cost even though I was working on tons of lanterns. One day he grabbed some crusty rusty lantern and clamped it up, removed the pump and steam and then handed me a check valve removal tool. Snapped right out. I left that day with a vice and both inserts. He had been telling me for years all it takes is removing a check valve using that vice one time and you'll never try it again without one. He was 100% dead right. That was over 10 years ago and I've smiled every time I've removed a check valve. After being used 100's of times that vice works just as good today as the first time I used it.

After Ernie passed away it dawned on me I only had one vice. I used by 5 at a time and resell them but never kept a spare. So I purchased one of the plastic ones pictured above. Tried it one time. Gave it away. It's well made with quality materials and cost effective. I'm not putting it down. But it's still not even a close 2nd.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>I also see where people dent their tanks with strap wrenches.

I cannot imagine how this could happen, at least not with the one I have. If you can dent a fount with one, then I'm guessing there must be other substandard copies or designs of these.
-Jim

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I cannot imagine how this could happen, at least not with the one I have."

You should observe where the forces generated by the strap wrench are being applied to the lantern tank structure. It is a lever and fulcrum situation. The far end of the strap wrench is the stationary point, and where the head of the wrench that touches the lantern is the force point on the tank. People that put the strap wrench on the tank seam get lucky as it is more pressure resistant than the tank sides. YMMV
58idaho
Colemanaholic

Post by 58idaho »

I have the aluminum vise made by Ernie Hiatt, and have used it but I usually lose some paint around the rim so I just invert the fount and valve body and put the valve body in a wood vise and turn the fount with gloves. Works good.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Zoomkat - the edge is where you need to use a strap wrench - As you pointed out that is where its supported. there is no luck involved; its called think before you do...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

OregonMichael

Post by OregonMichael »

I have one of the ones in the original post, including the insert. Mine came from Ernie's collection. Probably the best use for it so far has been removing the built-on pump from an L427 fount. As most of you know, that can really be a challenge, but that vise makes it really easy.
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

I have one of Ernie's fount vises. I don't use it often but do like how it works. I had about 10 502s that I have tried getting apart with every thread de-rusting product invented. After getting the vise, I was able to get one 502 apart with the 502 in the vice and an oil filter wrench on the 3/8" ratchet. The other 9, either crumpled the burner disc or twisted the U-tube bunson beyond repair.

Was it worth the price? I'd say it's very useful, maybe 2nd only to a check valve removal tool.

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

the LanternKing had one , i went over to use it on a 242NL fount . i was afraid it might scratch the nickel so i wrapped electrical tape around the bottom of the fount where it would touch , got the CV out no problem , but when i went to remove the tape it peeled the nickel off ...... havent used one since .

this was long before the NEW check valve tools were invented , just had the T wrench style . the peeling nickel probobly had nothing to do with the vice , but it turned me off :-)
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Like Jim mentioned, the strap wrench goes on the rim of the fount. Use your off hand on the side of the fount opposite the handle of the strap wrench to keep from bending the top of the fount.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

zoomkat,

I don't know what you're using for a strap wrench, but there's no way this one is going to dent a fount, and I've used it on many.

Strap wrench.jpg
-Jim

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Actually you can Jim; by strapping in the middle where there is no support...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I would never have thought to use it anywhere except at a fount base.
-Jim

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I don't know what you're using for a strap wrench,"

I don't use aa strap wrench, so far I can still use my hands when the valve assembly is carefully placed in a regular vice jaws. When that is no longer possible, I'll need to look for a mechanical assist.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I started using the strap wrench when I nearly dented a fount with my hands on the sides. I felt the fount flex and ceased and desisted before it actually bent.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I have one of Ernie’s vices, I have had hundreds of lanterns in it and I have never damaged one.
I bought this one at a Great Lakes Gathering from Jerry E. very reasonably but yes they fetch big bucks at Coleman auctions
ICCC # 1402
Coast_to_Coast
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

When I first started collecting, there was someone selling wooden ones they had made, at a gathering in Jerry Enbring’s garage in Madison. I have not seen them offered since. They looked really nice. I didn’t really know how handy they might be at the time and I don’t recall the price. The craftspeople seemed well known by the group, so there might be someone on here who knows who they were.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
Paddywonka
Colemanaholic

Post by Paddywonka »

Broke 2 strap wrenches on one lantern. Previous owner had used some type of permatex, or posibly red locktite. It was the only reason I bought a vise. But honestly a vise sure does simplify a somewhat difficult task. Kind of like a chop/miter saw, once you get one , boy you so wish you had done so much sooner.
“Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Hard is what makes it great.”
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Or...viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3301 - not to toot my own horn or anything (honk!)
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
Paddywonka
Colemanaholic

Post by Paddywonka »

Maybe you won't, but I will,that is neat!
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

My brother (Ridgerunner) and I made a wood fount vice with some 3/4” plywood, threaded rod, lock nuts,washers and wing nuts for tightening. A little work on the table saw and it was easy make.
992C7812-2D40-4947-8678-DFB9A3D8EBAB.jpeg
7092CB1E-1FAA-4239-943A-6A6676B019CC.jpeg
C67B6404-436A-4ACF-A2C6-BD67591EABD2.jpeg
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

We looked at lots of different options when Kenny and I were interested in building one of these. With the materials we had on-hand, John's post was the best route for us for building a DIY vise.

Maybe someday I'll get t use it again... ;)
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

That one's better than mine, on account of the dado for the grabber bar thing-a-ma-jig!
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
adkbill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by adkbill »

I will admit it may not be pretty or perfect, but it has yet to let me down.
For smaller sized founts, I use window/door shims
Often available at yard sales for $20 and under
Workmate Fount Vise 220 20.jpg
Bill H ICCC #1017
Sears Collectors Club #5
G-mod Syndicate #002
wildhorsehans

Post by wildhorsehans »

I have one on the way from OCP so I will let you know how I like it when it gets here. Been wanting one for awhile and finally pulled the trigger so to speak.
Nothings done till its overdone as they say! LOL
The new guy from Chester NH. 
ICCC #1847

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!!
corky569

Post by corky569 »

I just checked the site, couldn't find a listing for the vise, maybe he only had one?
Tom in Reno
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

corky569 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:19 pm I just checked the site, couldn't find a listing for the vise, maybe he only had one?
They come in and outta stock.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

wildhorsehans

Post by wildhorsehans »

corky569 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:19 pm I just checked the site, couldn't find a listing for the vise, maybe he only had one?
I must have got the last one as I did not see a listing either
The new guy from Chester NH. 
ICCC #1847

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!!
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i have a LANTERN VICE !!! :-)
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Unless you are in England Steve, Not the same thing... :mrgreen:
[Logo%20Outlaw-half]