Imported knockoffs look almost exactly like Coleman

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Imported knockoffs look almost exactly like Coleman

Post by Cajuncook1 »

It is amazing how a lot imported single burner stoves look like Coleman stoves :(
Intellectual theft and patent infringements are all over the place. Quality of products will be inferior as well.

Very sad 😔
Cheers,

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

:cf_beercheers:
stoves1234
Colemanaholic

Re: Imported knockoffs look almost exactly like Coleman

Post by stoves1234 »

What stoves are you referring to?
Jim
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

I'm interested as well.
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

I'm almost tempted to buy one to see how it runs but I don't know if I'd really trust it.

But it's not just Coleman designs being copied.

MSR, JetBoil, and Primus too.

Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Newfie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 pm

I'm almost tempted to buy one to see how it runs but I don't know if I'd really trust it.

But it's not just Coleman designs being copied.

MSR, JetBoil, and Primus too.

Yep your spot on.
Cheers,

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Sorry, should have given examples.

This one a combination of Coleman features. Just enough change as not to break patent rights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Camp- ... 890.l49286

Even the instructions look like the Coleman 533 side tank instructions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Outdo ... 890.l49286

And this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-liquid-fu ... 890.l49286
Cheers,

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Someone here got one like in the first picture a few years ago. I don't remember who it was.
It is too bad that these are even allowed into our country. Knockoffs are knockoffs. New York and Chicago used to have police departments that were completely dedicated to shutting down stuff like this, I.E., Gucci, Rolex, etc. You know if someone made jeans that looked like button fly Levi's and used the same back pocket design there would be an army of lawyers after them if they got to the States.

One of the biggest selling car brands in China is Buick. Considered a high luxury car, (they are nice, like most mid to upper market American cars..). There are car companies there that specialize in producing Buick knockoff's, along with Mercedes and Ford Explorer and Land Rover models. Those particular ones won't be a threat to other nation's trademark businesses because they can't pass safety and smog laws, but watches, shoes, (and apparently now old Coleman stoves) are what those folks call fair game. Also, when it comes to a company like GM/Buick, they have to compete in China with a government sponsored knockoff company that is sanctioned by the head business bureaus there.

I'm mostly worried about Bazooka Joe bubble gum knock-off chewing gum, because you never know what you are getting in it. Antifreeze, dog doo, or whatever. And the comics are not in English.....

;)
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Cajuncook1 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 am Sorry, should have given examples.

This one a combination of Coleman features. Just enough change as not to break patent rights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Camp- ... 890.l49286
Right off the bat Coleman should be able to get them on the pump. That is obviously modeled by a current Coleman production model.

And Coleman ought to ding them on the fold out feet on this one. That's with just a quick glance. If a Coleman atty wanted to look at it close he could probably pick it apart.
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Some of the parts would probably be interchangeable. Wow 😯
Cheers,

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"It is amazing how a lot imported single burner stoves look like Coleman stoves :(
Intellectual theft and patent infringements are all over the place. Quality of products will be inferior as well."

The Chinese make a single burner stove that is very similar to a Coleman 533. I inquired of the company about replacement generators (vaporizer or similar word) and they replied that they were available. As to intellectual property theft, I suspect any patent related items to the Coleman lanterns have long expired.
pagrey
Colemanaholic

Post by pagrey »

Patents are good for 20 years or so. Are you suggesting Coleman has made a stove in the last 20 years anybody cares about? There is a good reason these things expire after that many years
Paul
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

Patents are only good for 20 years if you maintain them. I'm pretty sure all these stoves are over 20 years old and therefore have no patent protection. A copyright lasts for 70 years but I don't think you can copyright a stove.

Sam
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

How about the Chinese pet food fiasco from a few years ago = Rover can't roll over - he is dead.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

Aren't there fake Apple stores in China? Not just Apple products...entire stores
Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Those prices seem pretty high. I bet they're a lot cheaper at Aliexpress.

I see similarities, but that's it. I would not consider these anywhere near Coleman quality. Just know that the pump has no check valve, but rather an NRV. Plus, there are no replacement parts, so buy two or three of the model you're interested in. :)
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
ImaRover

Post by ImaRover »

It seems that most anything that becomes somewhat collectible to an Audi of any size, even modest size, the Cheap China Trash makers start moving in with their cheap knockoffs. In some cases it damages or destroys the collectability of those categories or brands.
And the government just seems to have turned a blind eye. Pathetic.
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Once the patent expires anyone can copy your product. That's at maximum 20 years from introduction. As long as they don't infringe on the trademarked name there are no laws or nothing the govt can do.
For example, how many of you have a Chinese or even US made copy of the Crescent wrench in your tool box? Did you even think about buying a genuine Crescent brand? What about your Crockpot in the kitchen? Do you have a knockoff copy or a genuine Crockpot brand?
Is your 1911 a Colt or a Kimber or Springfield or one if many others? Same for an AR.
Just some food for thought.
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Stovie
Serious Colemanaholic

knockoffs

Post by Stovie »

Vise-Grips would be a good example, made in DeWitt, Nebraska. Not anymore.

Thing is, for example where are the "real" Jet Boil stoves manufactured? Probably on the same line. Who is going to stop them?
This space available
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Rustytank wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm Once the patent expires anyone can copy your product. That's at maximum 20 years from introduction. As long as they don't infringe on the trademarked name there are no laws or nothing the govt can do.
For example, how many of you have a Chinese or even US made copy of the Crescent wrench in your tool box? Did you even think about buying a genuine Crescent brand? What about your Crockpot in the kitchen? Do you have a knockoff copy or a genuine Crockpot brand?
Is your 1911 a Colt or a Kimber or Springfield or one if many others? Same for an AR.
Hahaha on the 1911’s, I wish I could afford a Colt and let alone that owning one other issue is not in the roster so I’m a Springer guy. Never liked Kimbers
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
A Seabee
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by A Seabee »

Dan

looking for 1/61, any Coleman lantern
Found 10/95 birthday lantern!
kellyblues
Super Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Rustytank wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm Once the patent expires anyone can copy your product. That's at maximum 20 years from introduction. As long as they don't infringe on the trademarked name there are no laws or nothing the govt can do.
Most of everything I own is genuine. I do have a bottom drawer in one of my tool boxes with knock off crap in it. That's the " loaner " drawer.

I usually don't leave home without one of my Colt 1911's. I do have a couple Bond arms derringers and a couple CZ's that I carry sometimes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

The Chinese are the mac-daddies of knock-offs.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

I have a number of Colt 1911's and one Springfield Armory clone enjoy shooting them all
Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
"Young enough to know I can
Old enough to know I shouldn't
Stupid enough to do it anyway!"
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

arizonacamper wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:26 am I have a number of Colt 1911's and one Springfield Armory clone enjoy shooting them all
Shawn
Remember you are my best friend 🤪
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

Yeah buddy!!!😎
Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
"Young enough to know I can
Old enough to know I shouldn't
Stupid enough to do it anyway!"
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

With the availability of modern manufacturing equipment, technical know-how and ability today, the Chinese actually have no real need to produce knock offs anymore. I don't know why these things are still around. Perhaps it takes two to tango. Perhaps there's still demand from the World around.
They might as well be producing something entirely original on their own. And they're certainly capable of doing it with incomparable low costs.
I believe they'd soon or already started to shift their focus from the imitation and low-end markets.
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

BSAGuy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:38 am The Chinese are the mac-daddies of knock-offs.
And the Mac daddies of Big Macs. Even McDonalds is not safe there. If Apple is not safe, no one is. Even the biggest fast food seller in the (free) world, and parts of the unfree world gets ripped off by the coms.
MYN927 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:57 pm With the availability of modern manufacturing equipment, technical know-how and ability today, the Chinese actually have no real need to produce knock offs anymore. I don't know why these things are still around. Perhaps it takes two to tango.
Honestly, I do not think the Chinese can produce original, open thought, unsourced products. They have such a huge population to control that good ol' capitalist thought is stifled. That is why their latest jet fighter looks so much like our own current generation jet fighter air craft. When the public imagination is oppressed, no new ideas are allowed. Thus, F35 lookalikes that do not perform, because they did not steal the right secrets, and Buick knock-offs that fall apart while you are driving them. They are stuck in the 1950s, just like the USSR was when they stole the Contax and Leica factory prints for cameras and tried to make their own versions. I have some of those USSR knockoffs and they remind me very much of the current China knockoffs that are produced and flooded onto the market. They couldn't compete, so they bought trademarks outright. The people suffer, but the government prospers. See: Dewalt, Milwaukee, Black & Decker, Skilsaw, and the Ridged brands. They could NOT compete with these brands while they were in American corporate hands, so they bought the trademarks, and what we now have are Chinese knockoffs of all those brands, but people in this country are too stupid or too lazy to realize it. None of those brands are American any more. They are owned by the coms. What a sad thing, and a fairly good proof that the coms couldn't come up with a competitive brand to sell to American contractors, so had to go to the huge expense of buying trademarks and then downgrading the quality of famous names like Milwaukee. Remember that company? The best drills and construction tools you could buy in all the world. Now owned by the coms, and sold as if they are American brands. They are not. They are now all fakes, and pale imitations of the former great companies.

Perhaps there's still demand from the World around.
They might as well be producing something entirely original on their own. And they're certainly capable of doing it with incomparable low costs.
I believe they'd soon or already started to shift their focus from the imitation and low-end markets.
If they were able to do these things, they would have rather than spending the billions of dollars to buy out brands like Skilsaw, etc. Their business model of faux capitalist but full on communist proclivities prevents high end intellectual thought. Why think up a whole new superior product when you can just buy out a major trademark brand and have all the tech notes dumped into your lap? OR, flat out stealing the trade secrets of the competition instead of putting in the costly research to find out if something actually appeals to a market. It's not fair, but it is what's happening.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

They may be making those types of stoves because they need them for cooking in some rural locales. It’s been awhile since I investigated their energy production. Ten years ago a ridiculous percentage was coming from point of use generation.
Those folks are not camping they’re living.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 pm Those folks are not camping they’re living.
Yes, that is true about the folks living, not camping. For many of them (millions upon millions) a Petromax type clone is essential light for living and a knock off kero stove type of thing is the difference from eating raw fish or cooked fish/mollusks. Those people live a very precarious life. Truly hand to mouth and I thank God I don't have to live that way. If I thought it would get to them, I would send them money. However, the govt would confiscate it.

I understand some of them are still fishing with a heron with a rope tied around its neck in order to eat that day. (Look it up. It's horrible, IMO.) Still, that is the failure of their nation to protect the people from sinking that low in society. Not the fault of any other country. Greed for the party is what it amounts to.
kellyblues
Super Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

There's a number of reasons the Skll saw my dad purchased sometime in the 50's still works like a charm to this day and the one I bought a couple of years ago didn't last 6 months. What Dean said is a large part of it. I've been fine using that sew at home but got roped into a string of sizable charity projects and didn't want my dad's saw to get stolen. So I bought new one. When it popped the bed I started taking my dad's saw. Never slowed it down. Same thing with the " drill motors" he ordered from Sears when he was in his late 20's, bind one of those puppies up and your going for a ride, or loosing an arm. Quality like that is no more with most brand name stuff because the rights have been bought out and the manufacturing is sub par because that's all they need to make money.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

I am definitely stupid! I had no idea that DeWalt, Milwaukee, Black & Decker, Skilsaw, and Rigid had been sold to the Chinese. Sad, indeed,
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

BSAGuy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:51 am I am definitely stupid! I had no idea that DeWalt, Milwaukee, Black & Decker, Skilsaw, and Rigid had been sold to the Chinese. Sad, indeed,
Lowe's bought the rights to Craftsman and actually moved the hand tools line out of China. I bought one of their toolbox type carpenter's saws that is made in Sweden. That thing cuts so good if I'm only making a few cuts I won't even bother breaking out the extension cord and Skilsaw.