U.S. Model B Visual Identification Guide

Saved threads of Technical Assistance will be moved here. Look here for quick links to Tutorials and rebuilds

Moderator: BobA

logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
JCColeman-3

U.S. Model B Visual Identification Guide

Post by JCColeman-3 »

Introducing the U.S. Model B Visual Identification Guide by Hillhouse/Garner/Cantrell

Attached is a compilation of information gained from many sources including the Coleman Collectors Forum (CCF) and various individual collectors. The purpose of this publication is to assist in identification, dating, and to further study the variations in the Coleman U.S. Model B by providing visual references to what has been documented to date.

Toby “James” Garner (Tgarner01) was the inspiration for a visual guide and contributed tremendously by providing information and many outstanding photos of the many B variations in his collection.

Larry Hillhouse’s (coleman54) past CCF posts, personal insights, and guide edits were a valuable source of information for the guide. Many other individuals contributed with photos and information.

By no means should the information in this guide be interpreted as final or resolute. Any information which contradicts the guide would be welcomed as constructive feedback, which would only serve to increase the lantern collecting community's knowledge through future guide revisions.

Hopefully, this guide will arm you with the information to apply a date to a U.S Model B or assist you in restoring one to near period correct condition.

A model B database has been started to better identify component transition periods. There is a questionnaire at the end of the guide if you would like to participate in the research.

We hope you enjoy the guide. Feel free to share it, if you find it worthy to share.

Keep’em burning,

Jeff Cantrell (JCColeman-3)

Jeff - Tonkawa, OK

Coleman Quick Lite Crew #57
Coleman Slant Saver #85
KAMPKOOK 3 Klub #7
Coleman Blues 243’s #170
smarti
Super Colemanaholic

Re: U.S. Model B Visual Identification Guide

Post by smarti »

Nice, comprehensive compilation. I have an early 228B (key hole bail and brass directional disc) and an etched globe, but the "COLEMAN" is etched on the top of the globe instead of the bottom.

https://colemancollectorsforum.com/view ... be#p461235
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
SteveRetherford
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

took me a minute to figure out how to download it , WOW thats gona take a minute to read over :-)
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
MotorcycleDan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Thanks for doing this!! Very well done. The 228 B is one of my favorites.
Dan ICCC #900
222, 226, 229, 3022 Collector
ICCC Treasure
critmass_34
Super Colemanaholic

Post by critmass_34 »

Toby's knowledge was a big help to me. I was back and forth trying to lock down the date for my '34 228B.

Last edited by critmass_34 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My friends call me Big Jack
Coleman Quick Lite Crew # 77
Coleman Slant Saver # 98
dbosch
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by dbosch »

This is an excellent piece of work.
Dan B.  ICCC #100
The Texas Dust Bowl

Faith is not about everything turning out okay; faith is about being okay no matter how things turn out.
JCColeman-3

Post by JCColeman-3 »

smarti wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:53 pm Nice, comprehensive compilation. I have an early 228B (key hole bail and brass directional disc) and an etched globe, but the "COLEMAN" is etched on the top of the globe instead of the bottom.

https://colemancollectorsforum.com/view ... be#p461235
Very interesting. Shoot me some pics of your globe and lantern and we will see about getting it added as a variant on the first revision.
Jeff - Tonkawa, OK

Coleman Slant Saver #85
KAMPKOOK 3 Klub #7
Coleman Blues 243’s #170
smarti
Super Colemanaholic

Post by smarti »

Will do. Again, great work.

Thank you.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
Toby

Post by Toby »

A big thanks to Jeff for putting this together! I know he worked hard on this over the past year or so. Asked all the questions needed to make sure it was done right and I believe he knocked it out of the park. The B models are one of the most confusing for new collectors to understand and place in the Coleman timeline and this guide should be a big help in pointing them in the right direction.

Thanks again Jeff, and also Larry for his knowledge and input.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Without even looking at the details, I know you guys did a great job. Downloaded, and can't wait to read this. Really, each model in the ICCC book needs a breakdown like this to clarify what is known in the collecting world, versus what fit and was substantiated in "the book". Neat that you all have the interest and inventory to study the variations/changes and substantiate the differences.

Mike Sine's work on the 237 guide is substantial and unrivaled on that model. I hope a Air-O/327 guide is taken up by someone as well.

Great work guys.
Last edited by Rfieldbuilds on Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randy
Cajuncook1
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Outstanding work. I’m in awe of the work and dedication. Brilliant gentlemen just brilliant!!!

Cheers
Cheers,
David Aka Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

:cf_beercheers:

A Cajun transplanted in Texas
Kgam1020
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Wow, that is a really impressive guide. What great work you guys did. One of my next fettles is a 1936 220B.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 1/49 ( 242C? ), 10/83, 11/84 (single burner stove) and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
Slant Saver #79
Quick Lite Crew #76
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
OregonMichael

Post by OregonMichael »

Just....excellent! Very well done. A big thanks to you all for putting this together.
Michael
Alaskanrocket

Post by Alaskanrocket »

Thats Great! Thanks for putting that together.
Alaskanrocket

Post by Alaskanrocket »

Thats Great! Thanks for putting that together.
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Nicely done! I like that it discourages the idea that Coleman was very rigid in what they put in certain models and to expect variation in parts, date patterns and finishes, etc. This should be pinned in the technical section somewhere for easy reference.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
Emorr123
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Emorr123 »

Great job by everyone involved! Hopefully I will need this guide sooner rather than later…
Eric 
MilspecOps #1272
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1272
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1272
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #7
ICCC #1789
dmillar

Post by dmillar »

3 of 42 228B, brass fount, plated frame rest/collar, US marked base, steel pricker nut.

Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Amazing job fellas! You folks left no stone unturned. Thank you for all your hard work!
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Mil-Spec Ops #1920
Coleman Slant Saver #80
Coleman Blues 243's #1980
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #68
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1980
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Flyboyfwa
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:55 pm Without even looking at the details, I know you guys did a great job. Downloaded, and can't wait to read this. Really, each model in the ICCC book needs a breakdown like this to clarify what is known in the collecting world, versus what fit and was substantiated in "the book". Neat that you all have the interest and inventory to study the variations/changes and substantiate the differences.

Mike Sine's work on the 237 guide is substantial and unrivaled on that model. I hope a Air-O/327 guide is taken up by someone as well.

Great work guys.
Randy said everything I was thinking. Great work on this! We need more of these.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
JCColeman-3

Post by JCColeman-3 »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:55 pm Without even looking at the details, I know you guys did a great job. Downloaded, and can't wait to read this. Really, each model in the ICCC book needs a breakdown like this to clarify what is known in the collecting world, versus what fit and was substantiated in "the book". Neat that you all have the interest and inventory to study the variations/changes and substantiate the differences.

Great work guys.
A QL 327/427 guide has been started… but it could take a little longer to assemble. Model B was the warm up, LOL
Jeff - Tonkawa, OK

Coleman Slant Saver #85
KAMPKOOK 3 Klub #7
Coleman Blues 243’s #170
Ulfuranda
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ulfuranda »

This is simply FANTASTIC.

I would LOVE a whole library of these Guides, one for each model or model type!! (Not being ungrateful, simply saying that now you’ve whetted my appetite!)

The fact that you are doing the QL makes me really happy … one of my top Coleman series. Maybe the top. I don’t know, I like the 236/7s. Anyway, THANK YOU!!

Ulf.
ICCC Member #2249
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0262

I love the smell of thorium in the morning.
Mcnairy
Colemanaholic

Post by Mcnairy »

This is awesome and well done! Thankyou for compiling this and thankyou to the contributors,! I just acquired my first 228B which has become my new favorite lantern. This may solve the puzzle for dating it.
I haven't torn it down yet. So far it has characteristics of a 1931, but visible stamped numbers are "1" on the right and "0" on the left. Which may be Oct 31 in reverse. I will post this separately at some point after more cleanup has been done.

Gary
Milspec Ops #0967
Sears, Milspec Lanterns and , Single 🔥 stoves, and of course 427's

Gary
Toby

Post by Toby »

Mcnairy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:36 pm This is awesome and well done! Thankyou for compiling this and thankyou to the contributors,! I just acquired my first 228B which has become my new favorite lantern. This may solve the puzzle for dating it.
I haven't torn it down yet. So far it has characteristics of a 1931, but visible stamped numbers are "1" on the right and "0" on the left. Which may be Oct 31 in reverse. I will post this separately at some point after more cleanup has been done.

Gary
Gary I suspect you're right in your date, but I would be curious to see the rest of the Lantern when you get to it. Happy Fettling!
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Technical Assistance Archive”