Using Bulk Propane?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Doctor9

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by Doctor9 »

What they usually have is a either an adapter for the hose, or one of those *trees* that turn a bull tank into a series of "canister standard" connections
"Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used *properly*" The Doctor
Chucker

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by Chucker »

In Scouting we use the 'trees' on bulk tanks to run lanterns and profane stoves. No special regulators. YMMV.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Deanofid

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by Deanofid »

Most Coleman brand propane lanterns have a built in regulator, so the bulk tank is okay to use. I don't know if the heater has a regulator. That could be why they don't want it hooked to a bulk tank. The small cylinders have a limited amount of vaporizing liquid surface in the fuel in them, since the cylinder is only about 4" diameter. A 20 pound, or five gallon tank has a much larger vaporizing liquid surface, so maybe that has something to do with using only the small cylinders in the heater. That is, if the heaters actually don't have a regulator built in.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by Dremwolf »

On the heater it could also be a matter of run time? Could be that running it for hours on end off of a 20lb tank is too much for it?
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by hurricaner »

Anything that will run off the small cylinders should be fine on a bulk tank as Dean said the only difference is a larger surface area and capacity allows the bulk tank to provide more BTUs to devices that need it. So unless you are exceeding the BTU capacity of the small cylinder, the pressure will be the same as the bulk tank for a given ambient temp..That being said if you have a device that specifically says not to use a bulk tank, then I wouldn't.

Sam
Rattlebone54

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by Rattlebone54 »

JAMES1095: THE GUYS AT MY LOCAL propane distributor told me exactly what you said. Also there is a reduction in pressure when the flow is physically reduced through the, say add-on propane convertor for a coleman liquid fuel stove, and that was the sufficient way to reduce need for a 'regulator'! Sounds accurate to me...I hope!
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
Rattlebone
Rattlebone54
Deanofid

Using Bulk Propane?

Post by Deanofid »

Rattlebone54 wrote: JAMES1095: THE GUYS AT MY LOCAL propane distributor told me......
........Sounds accurate to me...I hope!
Rattlebone
But the guys who engineered and manufactured this heater said:
Henryseale wrote: (I see) a notice on the heater saying not to hook to bulk tanks..
I think you got some good answers in this thread for questions you asked the members. Most of us aren't typing just to increase our post counts. Good luck and take care.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4