When did Coleman first coat fonts/tanks

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

Anyone know when? Perhaps we need to do a survey. My guess would be 73 but I really have not researched it.

Sam
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I'd like to know too, but also for each of the coatings. I believe there was an initial coating to prevent.rust, and probably the last formulation to be able to withstand ethanol. Were there others?
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

Ya Jim, that's where I'm at. For those of you that don't know the first Coleman coatings where pretty bad and will not hold up to unleaded gas. It would be nice to know when the coatings became unleaded friendly.

Sam
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

hurricaner wrote: It would be nice to know when the coatings became unleaded friendly.
Sam
When they first started making the dual fuel or unleaded lanterns. The coating made for unleaded fuels is kind of a pinkish-white color. The older coatings were brown and reddish. Those last two could be the same coating, but sometimes they look like two slightly different colors.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

I just checked my 200A collection and I have a 11/79 with no coating and a 6/80 with coating. So it looks like it was 1980 before they started with the coatings. Maybe a few people could check there stock to confirm.

Sam
SweetD
Colemanaholic

Post by SweetD »

Yes that coating on my 220J has caused me problems, as I'm almost positive that the original owner (my brother's father in law, now deceased) ran RUG in the lantern, and also let it sit with RUG, unused, possibly for years. I had a TON of that coating (in flakes) floating in the RUG/fount when I acquired the lantern. I'm sure it's not helping my F/A tube...and no, I have still not pulled it apart for a cleaning!

Dave

Here Comes Sunshine
My name is Dave, and I'm in Rhode Island.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate member #0207