413E Valve stuck

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
dsk

413E Valve stuck

Post by dsk »

Today, my 413E arrived. Since these are never sold here, it is the first I ever have touched, I have to ask and be careful. The only way to get one here are to by it on ebay, and pay for shipping it so just shipping and customs make this a valuable item. I dont want to wreck it, parts has to come the same way.

The little lever on the valve stops about 30 deg from stright up, what should happen when it is raised?

Any suggestions about what to do?

dsk

dsk
(Dag Ståle)
Trout
Serious Colemanaholic

413E Valve stuck

Post by Trout »

dsk, the lever moves the rod inside the fuel and air tube (F/A) that extends into the fuel tank. When all the way up it allows air AND fuel to enter the generator for initial lighting of the stove. Pointed down, it only allows fuel to enter the generator. It sounds like there is gunk in the F/A tube keeping the rod from moving freely. There is the possibility that just the lever shaft is binding so you might try just loosening the packing nut some and seeing if that frees it up. If you have a small torch, a LITTLE heat where it enters the valve may help. NO FUEL OR VAPORS IN TANK if you use a torch! In any event you do not want to force it because you could end up bending the rod in the F/A tube. Failing all that it will mean removing the entire valve from the tank and removing the F/A tube for cleaning.
And Welcome to the Forum!

Edit
Meant to include this exploded diagram:
http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/diagrams/413CDEF.jpg

Mike
If a man made it, a man can fix it - My Father
ICCC 1473

moose

413E Valve stuck

Post by moose »

Hi and welcome from the Netherlands. Great stove the 413E. I currently own two of them. Since you are in Norway it might be cheaper to buy parts in Europe in stead of the USA. There is a shop in the Netherlands that sells a lot parts for Coleman stuf. Also generators and valve assemblies for the 414 and 413 stove's. When you need something, let me know and I will send you the adress.

Good luck with your stove!
Coleman enthousiast from the Netherlands
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

413E Valve stuck

Post by hurricaner »

JimDouglasJr

413E Valve stuck

Post by JimDouglasJr »

That, or the eccentric block is in sideways.
dsk

413E Valve stuck

Post by dsk »

Thank you all, the stove was gummed of old automotive fuel, and the check valve are leaking, the spindle and the pump handle was so stuck so when I tied to remove it the valve needle broke into pieces. After some careful lurking(???) i got it OK.

Borrowed the needle and rod, and pump from an old lamp, just for testing, and yes it works!

I guess it will be right to make new thread about my new stove.

dsk

dsk
(Dag Ståle)