200A leaking at venturi and u tube

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Dolsenstor

Post by Dolsenstor »

I think vasoline would quickly dry out due to the heat.

I have read here people have had good luck using tin foil or muffler mender (which is made for the high metal temps)
Mike
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Muffler Mender or other muffler repair material will take the heat. Try the auto parts store.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
fish

Post by fish »

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin .
Patrick. A learning experience is one of those things that say, ' You know that thing you just did? Don't do that' Douglas Adams
CB#71
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Geoffrey, no, muffler mender in my experience crumbles when handled too much after it cures. Reapplying it is an option.

There is no permanent fix unless you either 1) contract the opening of the U-tube as it sits on the coupler or 2) expand the diameter of the coupler opening or 3) solder the joint making it less likely it will disassemble easily.

You might try 1/2in. graphite tape from McMaster-Carr. It is easily replaced. After all, how many times would you normally assemble/disassemble a 200a once its running well?

Oh, WELCOME to the forum from Michigan!
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Sorry about the tear downs, wow.

If you are asking what the air tube will do with OxiClean and/or electrolysis, I'm not sure. As long as the stuff not too far at either end of the ph scale I wouldn't worry about it. It could discolor it but unless it's smokin' while in the stuff, it should clean up.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

[Q
UOTE=seizure66]I have had this thing apart 36 times I think!! [sSig_woohoo2]

But, only one time fully, it lights! Boy does it light! The whole thing goes up in flames! I am going to do electrolysis on the frame now, using OxiClean, what of the copper air tube? [/QUOTE]

Pull the valve and clean the F/A tube. If it is flaming on startup that is your problem. Make sure the rod moves as it is suppose to and use the rod to ream out the end hole as there has to be some clearance for the thing to work properly. In your case the rod is probably stuck in the up(run) position.

Sam
JimDouglasJr

Post by JimDouglasJr »

Yup.
Most 200As have some leakage there. If you're getting a big flame up, you have problems down lower. The tube only directs the air and fuel mixture.

Flame up is ALWAYS too much fuel or too little air. There are just three possible causes and solutions. Here they are.

(1) SPIDERS love to make nests in the air tube. Vlowing the air tube parts out won't cheat it. Run a frayed wire through all the aior delivery part, being sure to chack the burner cap and tube for debris, too.

While checking the F/A tube (inside the fount) is a good idea, it sounds like too much fuel, and we should work backwards starting with (2) the tip of the generator. If it's loose or the hole is too big, this can happen.
If that checks out, yes, I think you may have (3) a F/A tube rod stuck.
The valve has to come off, but if you have access to a vise, it' only takes a minute or two.

Check these things and you'll be running shortly. be sure you're lighting according to the instructions. [wink]
evoos

Post by evoos »

Welcome Geoffrey...You're in deep now!

[Smilie6]
Just call me Voos.

ICCC #1503
wsryno
Colemanaholic

Post by wsryno »

OP, according to "theory", lets say you remove the gen, pump up about 20 times, and just crack the valve, it should be gurgling a little bit. It should be a mixture of air and fuel because the F/A rod is blocking the hole at the very bottom of the pickup tube and fuel/air comes in through the little hole at the top of the tube. When the valve is fully opened the rod inside the F/A tube should slide up and fuel only should be picked up from the hole at the bottom of the F/A tube. But I've never actually tried it to see if without a gen it gurgles when valve is cracked and flows when valve is fully open. This will be a nice experiment.

Interesting video Sid. All these years and I've never relieved fount pressure and drained the fuel from the gen. I preheat the gen with a pencil torch, and when the fuel remaining in the gen lights the mantles, I crack open the valve and remove the torch. As soon as the few small flare-ups have died down I fully open the valve and she's off and running. And that's a really neat table lamp too.
Sometimes a lantern is just a lantern. Bill. ICCC #1430
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

It should be a mixture of air and fuel because the F/A rod is blocking the hole at the very bottom of the pickup tube and fuel/air comes in through the little hole at the top of the tube. When the valve is fully opened the rod inside the F/A tube should slide up and fuel only should be picked up from the hole at the bottom of the F/A tube
That's almost correct but what a lot of people don't understand including me for a while is the rod does not completely block the hole, if it does you will get only air. There has to be a little bit if clearance between the rod and the orifice to allow some fuel to get by and mix with air. I usually use the rod as a reaming tool to clean the orifice applying a little bit of pressure to the sides of the orifice.

Sam
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Guess you now know that it passes gas...and air.
Chuck

Jim_l
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jim_l »

They will do this due to a loose seal at the venturi,(click on picture)

I fixed mine with a thin strip of aluminum.
Matthew 5:16: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Jim-- Coleman Blues Member #014
flyingtoaster

Post by flyingtoaster »

Thanks, Sid. I am going to follow your procedure every time from now on.
Ryan
flyingtoaster

Post by flyingtoaster »

Are you running it without the globe? If so, keep the globe in place so the generator stays warm. Otherwise, check for leaks by pumping up the fount and submerging the lantern in water (everything below the generator).
Ryan
SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk »

Welcome to the Board,

START BUILDING SHELVES EVERYWHERE, ASAP !

Sarge,
Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!
ICCC #1219
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.
Bless those who have or do go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf,
whether they wear LE Blue, Fire/EMT Red, Camo, or Covid ICU White & 
also all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....
flyingtoaster

Post by flyingtoaster »

seizure66 wrote: Whwn i put the globe on, it really takes a crap. Was running better without it.

When you test the lantern without a globe and there is a problem, you won't know whether the problem is due to the lack of a globe. Put it back on before you continue troubleshooting. Also make sure you are following ringwood's procedure in the video.
Ryan