Model 476.74970 Sears instant lighting gasoline deluxe camp stove

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

Most likely either the fuel cap gasket is bad and is releasing the pumped air, the leather plunger is worn out and isn't pushing the air in, or the check valve which holds the air in the tank once pumped is leaking.

I would start with a new gas cap gasket and move to the pump and finally the check valve.

You can get a fuel rated o ring if you are out camping now but should have it replace with the proper one. There are great tutorials on the site and they will have better step by step instructions than I could do.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
ctp51

Post by ctp51 »

First,wow you are fortunate to have such a family heir loom.Now,it sounds like the pump leather has dried out not letting air in the tank.Pull the pump rod out and try oiling the leather good.Once it is soaked real good work the leather to help soften,reinstall and try and see if you are getting pressure in the tank.A quick way to check is close the pump by turning all the way to the right,with your thumb over the hole on the pump shaft,try to pump air.If the leather is good you will feel pressure,if not replace the leather with a new one provided by our host.In the event you have to buy parts DO NOT buy from Sears unless your pockets are deep.You can find all you should need right here on this site.Next,when you order parts order a new cap gasket at the same time.Just to check,try replacing the fuel cap with a known good one.There should be no reason to buy a new tank from sears,try posting a want add in the classifieds,someone should be along in a short while to offer assistance.Best of luck and good hunting.
Tommy P.M. ICCC #1250 With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God.   
FDR Dec.8th 1941
JustOneMore
Colemanaholic

Post by JustOneMore »

Nice nice stove there, and good advice on repairs. You came to the right place.
If it has a flame, I like it.
While it is certainly nice to find what you collect, in reality you must collect what you find.
The Coleman Blue's 243's #009  BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #029
MilSpecOps  #1972   ICCC #1378  Coleman Quick Lite Crew #37
curtludwig
Super Colemanaholic

Post by curtludwig »

AFAIK your stove is a Coleman 425 in Sears clothing.

What makes you think you need a tank? Unless yours is rusted through somewhere it is almost certainly NOT your problem.

As the others have said the problem could be one of only a couple things, I would posit there are 3 possibilities:
1. Fuel cap - most likely
2. Pump leather - second most likely
3. Check valve - least likely which is good because its hardest to fix.

So test:
With the check valve closed (ie don't unscrew the pump) try to pump pressure. The pump should resist you since it has nowhere to put the air. If thats true your pump leather is fine. If the pump still moves it needs to be oiled. The BEST thing for it is Neatsfoot oil available at most good hardware stores, ask for it, they'll know. Soak it over night in a little cup, I use an old prescription bottle. ATF and motor oil work okay too.

While waiting for the pump leather replace the cap seal:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt6BKdYkzd8[/video]

You can tell the video is old because it talks about Bob selling you the part, its now Mike, the link is at the top of this page...
Curt

2017 ICCC Convention Host

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #019

http://www.youtube.com/c/lanternlabs
ctp51

Post by ctp51 »

Thanks Curt,one picture is worth a thousand words.
Tommy P.M. ICCC #1250 With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God.   
FDR Dec.8th 1941
curtludwig
Super Colemanaholic

Post by curtludwig »

Actually 4:30 at 30fps adds up to 8100 individual pictures in that video

I suppose that means its worth 8,100,000 words. Thats a lot!
Curt

ctp51

Post by ctp51 »

WOW Curt,Bruce Willis has made over 552 million pictures in his career!
FDR Dec.8th 1941
Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

new parts still available at Sears???? now thats incredible
Jan

Mitakiuye Oyasin " All My Relations"
slaytanicmetal76

Post by slaytanicmetal76 »

have used vegetable oil or 3 in 1 oil if neatsfoot isn't available.like others said,oil pump cup first and try that before going to next step.
tim #1252 lantern lover
W650

Post by W650 »

A picture is worth a thousand words & this one looked very familiar .
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/Sears-Stove-Model-476.74970-5017939
Hope yours is a nice as the picture, please post a picture of yours when you get it running.

The easiest thing to do is to try a fuel cap from another good working lantern or stove, if that works then you know you need to replace the gasket. Then put a few drops of oil into the pump and work it in, sometimes it takes awhile to to soak in, or you can pull the pump out and work it in by hand or soak it in oil overnight. If the leather is too cracked, it will need to be replaced.

If the whole tank is bad or leaking (you didn't mention that so it is probably good) you could pick-up a used 413 stove at a garage sale and use that tank, I think they are the same size, but someone else here may know more.

Hope that helps, good luck with the repairs.

Grant
Coleman Lanterns, providing light therapy over 100 years.
ICCC Member #1289
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0363
wsryno
Colemanaholic

Post by wsryno »

Kiernan, don't get a new tank and don't discard any parts on the existing tank (like the cap or the pump assembly). The video shows the easiest way to replace the cap seal, but if you don't have a torch you can pick it out with a tool of some sort. I've broken the tip off an exacto knife blade and used that before, just be careful not to gouge the insert.

If you want to mail me the cap and include return postage I'll replace that gasket for you. I'm only a few hours north of you so postage should be fast and cheap. You can PM me if that's of interest to you.

Once you've replaced the gasket and oiled the leather pump cup, there's a 99.99% chance your stove will be up and running.

BTW I've pulled the dipstick out of my van to oil up a gasket when "in the boonies".
Sometimes a lantern is just a lantern. Bill. ICCC #1430
JimDouglasJr

Post by JimDouglasJr »

ARRR! Yes, we have the leather pump cups available here on OldColemanParts.
Just like a car, after 40 years you don't go to the dealer for parts and repair. You go to the aftermarket parts suppliers.

You can do this yourself in just a few minutes, or send any one of us your tank and we'll get it working for you for just the cost of shipping, which should be under $10 each way.
OR, tell us which city you live in and we'll send a member over to do a tune up. FREE. Even replacing the cap seal takes just 5-10 minutes including burning it out.

Don't give up. If the old cup was still intact, all you need to do is soak it in some oil and work it with your fingers a little bit untill it's nice and soft again.
Notice on the pump cap there's a little hole marked "OIL"? Often overlooked until there's a problem, but they should have a few drops put in every season.

I'm sure you can send the part back, but, a bunch of people here commented on how to fix it and rather than listen to knowledgeable collectors or ask more questions, you chose to go ahead and order a part.
Try not to panic and let us help you. Your stove is a VERY simple machine with only about 5 or 6 moving parts on the tank.

If you got the old pump out and the leather was still intact, go oil it. Almost any oil will do. Motor oil is fine.
If you threw it away, one of us will send you the correct one, again, FREE.
All you need to do is ask [smile]. We have scads of them laying around.
If you removed the pump and there was no pump cup, it likely came off in the pump tube and will need to be removed and replaced.

Do that and then let us know.

If that fixes it, great, but still consider a new fuel cap seal. They almost always need one.
We'll tell you how.

offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

There are no dumb questions when it comes to fixing stoves and lanterns. Something as easily as flaring out the original pump leather after a good soaking may fix something that a $15 part will fix. Just ask before you dig to far. The people here know the way more about your stove (remember its just a Coleman with different color and stickers) than any one person can know.

Biggest thing is ask. Even if its just for simple parts or how to do simple tasks like photos of removing the gas cap gasket and how to replace it properly.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
curtludwig
Super Colemanaholic

Post by curtludwig »

There are no dumb questions when it comes to fixing stoves and lanterns.

Too right. There is however asking a question, getting a bunch of good responses and ignoring them...
Curt

hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

A
after waiting roughly two weeks for the replacement plunger assembly, Sears sent me the WRONG PART. The pump cup on plunger assembly they sent me at (a cost of over $23.00) is too wide to fit into the aperture of my stove's tank. Apparently, the original plunger (with leather pump cup) is no longer available. The one Sears sent (with a rubber pump cup) is supposed to be a universal replacement. Clearly, it is not!
Coleman has used the same diameter pump bore for at least the last 70 years on both lanterns and stoves. You can take one out of a brand new stove and it will fit in a 1948 stove just fine. Not sure what sears sent you but more than likely Coleman is going to give you the same thing. These pump cups require a little finesse to get them into the pump bore.

Sam
Cruiserdrew

Post by Cruiserdrew »

curtludwig wrote:
There are no dumb questions when it comes to fixing stoves and lanterns.

Too right. There is however asking a question, getting a bunch of good responses and ignoring them...

I noticed that too. LOL.
Drew

Travelling Lantern Host #6

ICCC  #1261
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Hi Rowl.

Yes, the "O 64" is most likely October '64 and so on.

I own the 3-burner version of this. To get the grates off you need to get the clip out (if it has the clips, I'm not at home). If it does, try using a blade style feeler gauge. Shove it up in there and gently pull the grate up.

The burners are just held in there by a few screws, should be two on each end, and one holding the "u" tube from the back? The aux burner valve will slide through the hole when you pull it out as a unit.

P.S. There is no shame in starting a new thread/topic. This one is really old.

Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Do you have the drip pan removed? That is under the burner assy. I may have misled you, sorry.

The burners are screwed to the rectangle drip pan (silver) from underneath. Look at the bottom of the stove and you will see holes in the case which line up with each burner up above. Up inside the holes you'll see the screws holding the burner assy onto the drip pan. Unthread those and it will come apart.

Again, once the burner assy and drip pan are separated the aux burner valve will be able to be rotated to fit through the slot on the side and lift up.

Sorry for the confusion.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Chucker

Post by Chucker »

To start new thread: click on "Technical Assistance", below the "Logout" tab you'll see another black tab that says "New Topic", click on that and do your thing.
Chuck