Making a simple pleated shade

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Making a simple pleated shade

Post by Hot_Diggity »

This is a project that came out of my Deer Camp Lamp project. I had to create a shade for it that could travel in a box, take up little space and survive the trip. This one does all that.

The S-hooks keep the shade material together during travel and are always useful around camp.
10_10 shade set for travel.jpg
I'll call this the 10/10 shade, because it requires about $10 in materials and 10 minutes to make.

Materials list:

$4 - One nicotine stained hotel lamp shade with three or four leg spider of 12" top diameter or more. (I've located hundreds at $2 a pop)
$2 - One 10" steel ring
$2 - One 14" steel ring
$2 - One 10" piece of a 36" x 72" fabric (or paper) light filtering Redi Shade window shade. (One window shade @ $6 = three lamp shades)

A finial is nice, but isn't necessary to plunk the shade on top of a lamp, and it screws up my $10 figure. 8-)

This is almost too easy.
10_10 WINDOW SHADE.jpg

A length of window shade is selected and cut off. (I used a scroll saw. There must be a better way, but I haven't found it...yet.) My lamp shade is 10" long. Two holes are drilled the same diameter as the rings about 1" from each end.
10_10 shade spider.jpg
The spider is cut about 3/4" longer than the upper ring on each leg, and bent up just over 90 degrees. This keeps the spider from poking through the shade material. The spider will lock the top ring in place when installed, making the lamp more resistant to breezes and allowing it to be easily handled by the spider.

The rings are cut and the hole in the window shade material is slipped onto the rings. I found that only one piece of 72" window shade is needed to give a pleasant pleat on a 14" lamp shade. This also makes it way easier, since the ends can be overlapped, or glued with the included glue strip on the Redi Shade.

And that's it. Lower the shade over the spider and snap it into place between the pleats. The only thing I watched for was that the joint in the upper ring was between two legs of the spider. The spider will actually close up the gap in the ring.
10_10 from above.jpg
10_10 angle top.jpg
10_10 side.jpg
I like that the Redi Shade is Made in USA. It also fits nicely on the Deer Camp Lamp and didn't get warmer than a spring afternoon during the hour that I ran it on the big HC kerosene burner.
10_10 on HC_CQ.jpg

Now there's no excuse for seeing spots from running naked lamps. All the shade needs now is some color. :D

Wow! I really like how the fount came out looking like it's blued steel. It has a Darth Vader vibe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hot_Diggity on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Making a simple pleated shade

Post by Tgarner01 »

Well done Chuck!! I'm going to try my hand at it soon... I just so happen to have a needy lamp on its way 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

The 168K is a light lamp, and a nice size pleated shade would keep it light. They have a paper light filtering Redi Shade too. I think the fabric is less prone to wrinkles.

I can get all the lamp spiders you need for $2. I could make them, but not for $2 worth of my time.

My donor pile.
10_10 Spider donor pile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Quick_Cal
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Quick_Cal »

Now that is cool!
Some call me   "The Wrangler''

Perfection Heater Collectors #1 Gold Bond Collector #19
Quick Lite Crew #39 Slant Saver #64
Canadian Blues #58 Coleman 275 #1979
Sears Collector #100
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

That's quite nifty, Chuck, thanks! Great the way it can be packed for travel. :cf_sign_thankyou:
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Great job!
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

Impressive. I see the shade is threaded onto the ring..how does that work?. Is the ring split somewhere?
We should have a contest for home made GPA improvements/repairs/innovations. You got my vote.
OK...just saw the split on the bottom ring.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Cool!
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Northman49 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:09 am Impressive. I see the shade is threaded onto the ring..how does that work?. Is the ring split somewhere?
We should have a contest for home made GPA improvements/repairs/innovations. You got my vote.
OK...just saw the split on the bottom ring.
Yup, both rings are split. No need to fasten the ends. The shade material slides around into place easily, and once you get the top evenly distributed and snapped onto the spider you just hide the cuts behind a pleat and position the gap on the top ring between two spider arms.
A smart fella would subtly mark the pleats that needed to be lined up with the spider during the first assembly process, to smooth future assembly.

It's a ten minute job, really.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

What a great idea and execution.

Where did you find the rings?
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

JimL wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:46 am What a great idea and execution.

Where did you find the rings?
https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text ... view=76210

Most commonly used as dream catcher rings, but lamp shades are mentioned in the description. The drop down size menu lists three sizes that might be useful for this project. 10", 12" and 14." I think a 12" shade that was a little shorter would look right at home on my smaller lamps.

I'm going to visit a crafts lady tomorrow and deliver her a shade to play with adding some color. The Deer Camp Lamp shade will probably push me into the purchase of an air brush and all that sort of hobby stuff. Looking out at the frosty back field I think painting the shade the color and pattern of fallen leaves would be just about perfect, and since the shade spins so nicely on the finial I think a couple dark rings, maybe right at the steel ring height would give it a nice look.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Scenicruise

Post by Scenicruise »

You heard him, no naked lamps!!

Looks good. Excited to see the painted ones in the future.
Matthew
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #55