What Month & Year Were Shrader Valves Introduced?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
ke4ljh
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by ke4ljh »

What Month & Year Were Shrader Valves used in lantern and stoves?

Is it a specific month and year for all lanterns and stoves or somehow staggard and different for each model?
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/cCNVqNmL/Peek-Over-Fense-rkscarediv-e0.gif[/img]
Stephen - Florida
Matthewq4b

Post by Matthewq4b »

First use was in the Canadian 321 Quick Lite in 1973 and March IIRC.. Coleman Canada developed the use of the schrader valve.

Generator Guy  Second Account ,Original was sacrificed to the gods of electronica 
ke4ljh
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by ke4ljh »

Ok, What about in Wichita in the U.S.?

The reason I am asking is so I have perspective on which lanterns do not have a shraider valve.
Stephen - Florida
bluepen61
Colemanaholic

Post by bluepen61 »

The earliest 290 CLX is dated 6 of 1983.
John L. Kemmis ICCC #703
Bernz Appreciation Club #007
I collect the Coleman 290 series
and the usual unusual ones.
mikew
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mikew »

Always thought the 275 was the first US Schrader valve lantern.
Mike
"... at evening time, it shall be light." Zechariah 14:7

Slant Saver #05 Milspec Ops 0045
Quicklite Crew #27
Perfection Heater Collectors #4
bluepen61
Colemanaholic

Post by bluepen61 »

The 275 uses the Schrader valve? All these years I never knew. I never have taken one of those valves apart. I wonder what the dates on those are...
John L. Kemmis ICCC #703
Kansas_John
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kansas_John »

The book says 275 in 1976 was the first to have a schrader valve out of Wichita. As stated above, the 321 circa 1973 was the first out of Canada to incorporate the use of a schrader valve.
John M. Lawrence, KS
ICCC #1431

Looking for any oddball moderns and an REI single burner anniversary stove.
Smudge
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Smudge »

The Toronto 321A had schrader valve and sometime in the mid to late 1970's, they used the o-ring valves in the 321B. I have a 1/79 321B with the o-ring valve. I think the 621 series followed the same pattern as well.

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/colecalant7193.htm
Perfection Heater Collectors #6
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #021
Bernz0matiC Appreciation Club #057
ICCC #1726
Eel
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Eel »

If memory serves, the last of the brass-valve lanterns was made in late 83.
Another place to look for an early Schrader application might be in the Peakish stoves? Certainly not earlier than the 275, though.

EEL Eclectic Lanterns, div.  Doofenshmirtz-EEL Incorporated.

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

If the lantern is designed to be adjustable, it's got a Schrader valve. I use the word 'designed' because some folks consider a lantern adjustable because output can be regulated with the tip cleaner.

Coleman's patent for adjustables include the Schrader. Here it is in case you're interested.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4522582?oq=3807938
-Jim

Sheep that produce steel wool have no natural enemies.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

Just so we are clear here the Schrader valve does not provide the adjustment on the adjustable lanterns. The valve just turns the the lantern off and on. The cleaning needle provides the adjustment, it is just built into the mechanism on the main valve instead of having a separate lever.
The 275, 285, 286, 288, and 290 and all there variants use the schrader valve. To the best of my knowledge no US lanterns ever changed to the schrader valve without a complete model change.

Sam
ke4ljh
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by ke4ljh »

That clears things up nicely.

Would it be fair to say that if a lantern has a separate cleaning needle adjustment from the main valve, then it does not have a schrader valve?
Stephen - Florida
hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

ke4ljh wrote: That clears things up nicely.

Would it be fair to say that if a lantern has a separate cleaning needle adjustment from the main valve, then it does not have a schrader valve?

Yes. Of course some of the older lanterns(20s and early 30s) did not use a cleaning needle. Milspecs also don't use a cleaning needle.

Sam
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Just so we are clear here the Schrader valve does not provide the adjustment on the adjustable lanterns.

Sam,

It's the combination of the two. I didn't think the Schrader played that much of a part in it until a member here a couple of years ago lost adjustability until he replaced the pickup tube on his lantern.

Edit: To further elaborate on the Schrader, think about the Schrader in your car tire. The more you depress the pin, the faster air comes out, and lightening up on it slows the air flow.
-Jim

hurricaner
Colemanaholic

Post by hurricaner »

Jim, the problem I have with the schrader valve being able to control flow is it is in the fuel section and not the gas section like the wire on the cleaning needle is. I believe the liquid expands something like 250 times when it becomes a gas and would therefore be extremely difficult to dim a lantern with the liquid flow rate. I'm pretty sure that it is just like a stove and the needle is doing the work. I could be wrong, one of these days I will yang the needle out of a gen and see if you can still dim it.

Sam
bluepen61
Colemanaholic

Post by bluepen61 »

I agree with Jim, both control the fuel flow. As I am turning it towards off, I can reduce fuel output to almost zero, which is a point were I don't believe the tolerances in the tip/pricker are small enough to achieve that alone. And just thinking here, the a/f tube that the Schrader screws into may play a role with the way it is shaped/molded internally.
John L. Kemmis ICCC #703
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Sam,

There's a third, undocumented aspect of these adjustable lanterns, and that is that they contain some magic. Ever noticed that when you light these, they don't tend to flame up? I didn't find that in the patent info, so it must be a trade secret.
-Jim

ke4ljh
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by ke4ljh »

Jim,

That is a very astute observation. You are right. The newer so called adjustable lanterns don't seem to flare up as much. Now the 288 I have seems to flare but for a short duration and then settles down very quickly as the generator gets heated up.

The newer lantern I have, a 295-700t which is the designation for a dual fuel lantern, but this lantern is green and does not say dual fuel but takes the dual fuel generator. I can't remember this lantern ever flaring up at start up. Doesn't mean it hasn't, just means I don't recall it happening. So even in the yet newer versions there may be something else that has been fine tuned that Coleman has kept to there self that makes flare up less likely. I suspect it's something that may not so much be different, just more finely tuned. That is just a guess.

Here is that lantern getting some go juice.

Stephen - Florida
GrayClay

Post by GrayClay »

I was looking to understand how the schrader lanterns work a while ago when I found this thread:

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/Newer-lanterns-theory-of-operation-5468271?highlight=patent

Thanks Sam and BobA for the helpful summary information.

The pricker provides the adjustable feature, the schrader controls fuel on/off.

The 'instant light' flare control on start up is provided by that tiny fuel orifice at the bottom of the F/A tube. When cold the volume of (liquid) fuel that can fit through the generator tip is many times what can go through the jet after it expands (heated) to a gas.
The fuel flow restriction at the bottom of the F/A tube limits this, and forces the air to be drawn from the fount as well. Once heated, the fuel flow rates are so much lower, no air is drawn.

Clay. Sierra Foothills, California