288 and 285 question

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Jayhawksr
Colemanaholic

288 and 285 question

Post by Jayhawksr »

I’m camping at the lake with the boys and told a buddy I would fix his lanterns. We are looking at a 288 and 285 both running white gas. The issue is a lot flame at the mantles even after the genny is warmed up. It’s almost like a fuel and air aren’t mixing right and its fuel rich. Any suggestions would be great. I don’t have much experience working on the newer models but I did bring a good selection of tools.
Richard (KC native and KU Alumni living in Maryland)
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. Go KU!
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1983.  Coleman Quick-lite Crew #36.
Mil Spec Syndicate #1983
Eagle Scout Class of '83
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 288 and 285 question

Post by zoomkat »

"I don’t have much experience working on the newer models but I did bring a good selection of tools."

These types of lanterns have a different method of startup and operation than the older lanterns, so it is important to understand how they work. The first thing to note is that they need to have the fuel control valve full open to properly start. Less than full open may result in flooding and a fire ball. I suspect they are not being started properly since both lanterns have the same issue. What is your starting method?
Jayhawksr
Colemanaholic

Post by Jayhawksr »

zoomkat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 pm "I don’t have much experience working on the newer models but I did bring a good selection of tools."

These types of lanterns have a different method of startup and operation than the older lanterns, so it is important to understand how they work. The first thing to note is that they need to have the fuel control valve full open to properly start. Less than full open may result in flooding and a fire ball. I suspect they are not being started properly since both lanterns have the same issue. What is your starting method?
I am following the start up procedure and I have a fully functional 288 at home. Where i am at now is it still why I’m getting g flame up after startup when the fuel should be fully vaporized.
Richard (KC native and KU Alumni living in Maryland)
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. Go KU!
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1983.  Coleman Quick-lite Crew #36.
Mil Spec Syndicate #1983
Eagle Scout Class of '83
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Obstruction in the airways?
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I am following the start up procedure and I have a fully functional 288 at home. Where i am at now is it still why I’m getting g flame up after startup when the fuel should be fully vaporized."

Ok. Next, how long did you let the lanterns run to see if they would start operating correctly? It may take a minuet or two to clear a flooded condition. After the lanterns have operated in the degraded condition, have you tried throttling back the lanterns using the fuel control valve? If so, did the output change? If the output did change, did the lanterns have aa "sweet spot" where the lanterns appeared to be operating better?
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

zoomkat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:25 am "I am following the start up procedure and I have a fully functional 288 at home. Where i am at now is it still why I’m getting g flame up after startup when the fuel should be fully vaporized."

Ok. Next, how long did you let the lanterns run to see if they would start operating correctly? It may take a minuet or two to clear a flooded condition.
How long do the minuets need to be? What if he doesn’t have any to listen to at the campground?
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"How long do the minuets need to be? What if he doesn’t have any to listen to at the campground?"

No more Prevagen® for you tonight! ;)
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

But I like to dance when I get a lantern lit.

And more seriously if the problematic lanterns were stored for a long time they might have blockage in the air tubes.
Kevin#2
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40