200A and 202 reproduction
frames back
in stock.

Tgarner01
Found this in a 220C generator I'm rebuilding. A first for me, was this common? IMG_20200625_111541_copy_600x800.jpg 
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
michiganphil
Yes, common before the "cardboard" type packing.
Philip
ICCC #1326
Quote
mgmlvks
Interesting - I have not come across that but others have.  Believe it is asbestos and should be placed inside a sealed empty water bottle or similar to protect from fibers migrating and then disposed of with the trash.
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"
Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/27430282209_39a564be00_z.jpg
 
 
Quote
Gunhippie
That's from a T44 generator. It was the precursor to the modern 220 gen, and the first Instant-Light gen. I have a box of them somewhere around here. They came in a gasoline and a kerosene version--T44G and T44K. The only difference is a smaller orifice on the K version.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Quote
Tgarner01
Wow, I had done some research on the T44 generators in the past, I must of forgotten about this packing. None the less a first for me. And not even on that old of a lantern. Thanks for the help fellas
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
ecblanks
I had a string of those a couple of months back. Once those get stuck, no amount of heat and quench seems to break them loose.  Usually have to bang them out with a hammer and a small rod.  Once i found out they were asbestos I stopped fooling with them.  
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892
Quote
salukispeed
This is my Understanding and If I am not correct please chime in!  Asbestos   is nothing to take lightly but it is not going to hurt you unless you mess with it and create dust or loose fibers. It can be dealt with safely if kept wet or kept from fuzz getting away. It is bad if inhaled as it can get deep in the lungs and does not purge well.  We deal with other materials with our Mantles and sanded paint and such. and these have similar inhalation hazards The smoke and dust is what is bad for you. It is not bad if it is not disturbed and is not like a chemical hazard.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
Quote
Tgarner01
I usually save the "cardboard" tubes and burn them, but this one will get pitched and bronze wool will replace it. I've had good luck using it.
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
grob
Hey, you were doing as-best-as you could ):*)- I have found small fine brass screen folded up with a hole in it above the spring in 2, 200A nickle gennys lately. Didn't know they were there or come out until I took a .17 cal. bore brush to it. Hard time getting the tubes out too.
Gary
Boy, I say boy... you're about to exceed the limitations of my medication.
- Foggy
Quote
Tgarner01
grob wrote:
Hey, you were doing as-best-as you could ):*)- I have found small fine brass screen folded up with a hole in it above the spring in 2, 200A nickle gennys lately. Didn't know they were there or come out until I took a .17 cal. bore brush to it. Hard time getting the tubes out too.
Gary

I make it a note to look for those brass screens on all the gens I rebuild now. They are pricker breakers if you miss them...
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
JimL
Dang, I certainly would not toss it, but wouldn't play scratch and sniff with it for hours on end, day after day, for several years and risk getting cancer.  At a minimum, it's probably great material for a preheat cup.

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?


There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry
Quote
Tgarner01
JimL wrote:
Dang, I certainly would not toss it, but wouldn't play scratch and sniff with it for hours on end, day after day, for several years and risk getting cancer.  At a minimum, it's probably great material for a preheat cup.
 
Do these burn out like the later tubes? Cleaning wise I mean..I usually take a propane torch to the later tubes to clean them
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
JimL
I don't know, but if it's asbestos, I suspect so.  I've only ever run across one myself.

Edit:  Replaced 'most likely' with 'I suspect so'.  I'm no materials specialist on asbestos.

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?


There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry
Quote
Tgarner01
JimL wrote:
I don't know, but if it's asbestos, most likely.  I've only ever run across one myself.

Well, we're tied with each other for seeing the most 🙂 
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
macwacs
Asbestos is a great preservative. I worked around it for over forty years if I count my Navy and refinery years combined. Averaged a fifty hour week. I'm still here and all my friends who did nor have any or enough exposure to it are now long gone. Most died in their fifty's. Maybe the lead and mercury exposure had something to do with off setting the effects of the asbestos. Also loved DDT and Round up.
RMW
Quote
Gunhippie
I've seen a few T44Gs:

[46910776232_02e5d08d30_b]

But no Ks.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Quote
bowenstudios
salukispeed wrote:
This is my Understanding and If I am not correct please chime in!  Asbestos   is nothing to take lightly but it is not going to hurt you unless you mess with it and create dust or loose fibers. It can be dealt with safely if kept wet or kept from fuzz getting away. It is bad if inhaled as it can get deep in the lungs and does not purge well.  We deal with other materials with our Mantles and sanded paint and such. and these have similar inhalation hazards The smoke and dust is what is bad for you. It is not bad if it is not disturbed and is not like a chemical hazard.


It's like chemicals that are considered toxic and have a more immediate effect on you. I deal with lots of silica in ceramics and the structure is the same, a barbed shaped particle that enters the tissue causing hardening of the lungs. The difference is asbestos can lead to cancer, silica doesn't, at least as far as we know. Teoretically it only takes 1 particle. That being said my 2 closest experiences with it are my dad and grandfather. Besides all the other random exposures in a world that used it for everything, my grandfather used loose asbestos to patch furnaces in a steel plant. Developed mesothelioma in the 80s, got a big settlement but lived for years with just labored breathing. Dad was in the navy, had it falling out of the insulation in his electrical shop and in all the craw spaces in the schools he worked in. When he worked in the county cabinet shop they would cut sheets of it on table saws to make chemistry room tables. He has labored breathing, but can't get any type of settlement till he develops mesothelioma. He's known others that did develop mesothelioma and their only real contact was brake shoes on old cars. 

He tells me to avoid it, and when I do work with it we just soak it with oil to make sure the particles don't get airborne. 

On a funnier note I took a bunch of pieces of asbestos sheet to the dump once in a cooler. The guy caught me and told me it's a minimum of $2000 to dump asbestos because of all the regulations and special stuff they have to do. We buried it in a deep hole on the farm.
-Mike
______________________________________

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
Quote
Tgarner01
Cleaned up pretty good. If I can get it back in the gen tube without much effort I'll try it and see how she works
IMG_20200625_145903_copy_600x800.jpg 
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
Tgarner01
IMG_20200625_153236_copy_600x800.jpg runs perfect... When you remember to open the valve all the way ðŸ˜
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
JimL
How did you clean it?  With a torch or chemicals?

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?


There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry
Quote
uvarmint
I’m betting torch
Quote
Tgarner01
JimL wrote:
How did you clean it?  With a torch or chemicals?

Yes just a propane torch like I do the later tubes. It is a little more nerve wracking re installing it as it tries to flake... So better to be done outside ðŸ˜
Toby Garner
ICCC #1939
Quote
Banjoman
Ecblanks just drill it out under water
Darrell
Quote


...
...
Welcome to the Coleman Collectors Forum, an international forum of Coleman enthusiast and collectors, as such people from all over the world come here to read about Coleman collecting, repair, and to meet and make friends. The pages contained here are intended for the use of amateur collectors and people interested in Coleman collecting, restoration and repair as a hobby. It goes without saying to refrain from political posts, personal attacks and inflammatory posts.

Please note, all postings are the personal opinions of the members posting, the owner, administrators and moderators of the forum do not warrant the accuracy of posted information or endorse the safety of such.