Hey gang - I've been a member here for a while and have fettled on and off during that time. I've made a few bulk purchases in the last year in preparation for the completion of my work shed, where neighbors gather for cold beverages and many lanterns will be fettled.
At one point I owned a Coleman popup camper (Evolution E1 - I loved that thing) and I still belong to a Facebook group for Evolution owners. Another member there started posting youtube links to a 200A teardown and rebuild tutorial he was working on (I believe he's "Redneck College" on YouTube) and that got me motivated to start this project.
I've never worked on a 200 before, so this was all new to me. I have 3 others that will come next, but I gotta say, these little lanterns are pretty great - simple and easy to work on.
Here's what I started with:
As you can see, the globe was toast, the vent has some pretty significant wear, the fount is pretty badly pitted, and the burner cage needs some help. Well, I've never painted anything in my life without using a rattle can, so I decided to enlist the help of a neighbor who does custom auto body paint. I took the fount and the vent over to his shop and he showed me how to smooth it all out, prime it, and get it ready for paint. He took the vent as a color reference and came up with this:
Not too shabby! I'm ordering a replacement decal today, but I couldn't wait that long to get it put back together, so I did a vinegar soak on most of the components and gave them a good polish.
Generator seemed brand new, which was a nice surprise. The burner cage polished up beautifully. One goof on my part (100% my fault) is that when I took the fount and vent to my neighbor for color matching, I neglected to mention to him that we would not be painting the vent since it was ceramic and gets exposed to extremely high heat. He figured it out pretty quickly, but not before trying to sand out some of the rough spots. Lesson learned - I'll be on the lookout for a 200A vent in good shape or maybe try the ceramic service that gets discussed here frequently.
And the money shots: Outdoors first in case of mishap - had fire extingusher as well as large, damp towel close by.
Had a replacement globe on hand (still need to soak off the price tag - it's visible in the picture above).
All in all a fun project, and a nice runner added to my shed. I'm liking these single burner lanterns.
As for my neighbor, who helped me on this project as a favor for a friend - I've told him he's opened up Pandora's box now, because I have about 25 lanterns (nothing rare or terribly collectible) in pretty rough shape. He laughed because he thought I was joking, then I handed him a really rough fount from a 220F and asked if he could get a green close to it...
Thanks for looking!