200A and 202 reproduction
frames back
in stock.

johnvosh
So I picked up a nice 2/81 Coleman 502 for a good price. Here are the pics! I put some fuel in it from one of my other stoves and it lit up right away. Took and decided to do a boil test. After 17 minutes and with 1 litre of water, I couldn't get it to a roaring boil. Maybe I was doing something wrong? I did this out on my deck, not much wind, outside temp was around 14c. I took a couple video's of it as well and I'll try to get them posted!

LINK to 2 video's. Listening to flame, it seems to fluctuate a little bit while running.

20190813_063134.jpg 20190813_063207.jpg 20190813_085809.jpg 
Quote
johnvosh
Well, I ended up taking the thing apart! Amazingly the burner base came out fairly easily. I thought I was going to have a lot of problems with it, but nope. But under that the screw head were quite rusty as well as the plate the screws were holding. The burner rings were a bit stuck together. The inside of the generator looked clean when I shone a flashlight into it as did the feed tube that goes into the tank. Once I removed the collar from the tank, some of the paint was flaking, which is too bad. I am going to leave the tank alone, just wipe it down gently to make it shine again.

20190813_131027.jpg 20190813_131507.jpg 
Quote
zoomkat
A strong running 502 will start to turn the grate cherry red. If the output is low and the tank depressurizes fairly quickly, you may have a sticking fuel control rod in the fuel pickup assembly. In the light position, the fuel control rod is down in the fuel pickup orifice allowing aa mix of tank air and fuel to be sent to the generator. When the fuel control valve is fully opened, the fuel control rod spring pushed the fuel control rod up and out of the fuel pickup orifice allowing the fuel pickup tube to flood up with fuel.
Quote
johnvosh
zoomkat wrote:
A strong running 502 will start to turn the grate cherry red. If the output is low and the tank depressurizes fairly quickly, you may have a sticking fuel control rod in the fuel pickup assembly. In the light position, the fuel control rod is down in the fuel pickup orifice allowing aa mix of tank air and fuel to be sent to the generator. When the fuel control valve is fully opened, the fuel control rod spring pushed the fuel control rod up and out of the fuel pickup orifice allowing the fuel pickup tube to flood up with fuel.


When I lit the stove, I followed the instructions on the label. I had the red cleaning knob pointed away from the stove, then I turned the fuel valve a 1/4 turn. After about 2 minutes, I opened the valve fully and left the clean knob/adjuster in the full open position. It had a nice blue flame the entire time.
Quote
zoomkat
If the fuel rod sticks, the stove will actually stay in the start mode. It runs (it is using a mix of fuel and air from the tank), but not as hot, and the tank will depressurize fairly quickly. My dad's 502 did this after sitting unused for a number of years. You can reassemble the fuel pickup and fuel control valve, then cycle the fuel control valve and see if the fuel control rod moves in and out of the fuel pick up orifice. On my dad's stove just the disassembly and reassembly fixed the problem without any other action. The below pictures show how the fuel control rod and the fuel control valve work together.

fuel valve2.jpg 

fuel tube2.jpg 
Quote
johnvosh
Just wanted to give everyone an update on the 502. I've attached some pictures! It looks so good now. Just wish the paint on the font wasn't flaking. I still have to light it, which I will do tomorrow after giving the paint some time to dry fully. The burner rings were rubbed with some #0000 steel wool, but not painted. I did replace three screws as the original were quite rusty. I was going to replace the ones for the burner, but couldn't find any at my local Home Depot. Click image for larger version - Name: 20190820_143706.jpg, Views: 274, Size: 163.83 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 20190820_143712.jpg, Views: 268, Size: 160.60 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 20190820_154819.jpg, Views: 266, Size: 162.98 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 20190820_154824.jpg, Views: 269, Size: 174.04 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 20190820_155938.jpg, Views: 270, Size: 162.66 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 20190820_155933.jpg, Views: 269, Size: 181.92 KB
Quote
1hpycmpr
Nice job!  For being 38 years old, the paint on the tank looks pretty darn good.
Mark
Quote
ZRE2009
Looks like a very nice transformation. Very good job you did
Zachary E.
Delphos, OH
Looking For Anything 6-90
ICCC Member: 1760
Turd Appreciator #0219
Quote
johnvosh
1hpycmpr wrote:
Nice job!  For being 38 years old, the paint on the tank looks pretty darn good.
ZRE2009 wrote:
Looks like a very nice transformation. Very good job you did


Thanks! I still think there is some problem with it though as after 9 minutes it still had not brought 1 litre of water to a boil. So I am not exactly sure what I should be looking at....
Quote
ZRE2009
I really doubt it would be a problem but have you checked to see that there is no obstruction in the little fuel tube going up to the generator? Maybe try blowing that out and making sure its passing fuel freely. It looks like you had the fuel valve all the way out I wonder if a little piece of graphite didnt get lost inside that tube possibly? 
Zachary E.
Delphos, OH
Looking For Anything 6-90
ICCC Member: 1760
Turd Appreciator #0219
Quote
zoomkat
"Thanks! I still think there is some problem with it though as after 9 minutes it still had not brought 1 litre of water to a boil. So I am not exactly sure what I should be looking at...."               

Does the output change as you rotate the cleaning lever? Maybe you can post a picture of the stove operating after operating at at full output after a couple of minutes. A good running 502 will often make parts of the grate a little red in calm conditions.
Quote
Ridge Runner
Question: Are you adding any more air to the fount after the initial pumping?

From zero pressure, I usually start with about 20 pumps to light. Then, after running a couple minutes I add another 15-ish more pumps. Makes a difference on the output of mine anyhow, it really roars after adding the second round of air. After that it pretty much keeps itself pressurized.

Very nice job on the clean-up/repaint, too. It's lookin' real good!

— L.J.
Looking for a 10/2015 B-Day Lantern
Don't reinvent the wheel, build a better mouse trap!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater

Quote
fuel brained
Nice looking stove. Did you clean the generator.
Pastor Jeff
God said "Let there be light" so He let His Son shine.
SoCal and Lovin' It
US Navy Submarine Cold War Veteran
MilSpec Ops #1960 "Feel the Roar"
Quote
johnvosh
zoomkat wrote:

Does the output change as you rotate the cleaning lever? Maybe you can post a picture of the stove operating after operating at at full output after a couple of minutes. A good running 502 will often make parts of the grate a little red in calm conditions.


Yes, the output does change. If I take and turn the red lever towards the body, it will lower the flame output. Nothing got red hot until after a few minutes of operation

Question: Are you adding any more air to the fount after the initial pumping?


Yes I am. I only have the font about 1/2 full of fuel or so, so I add about 30 pumps, then light it, wait a couple minutes, open the valve fully, then add about 10-20 more pumps.

Nice looking stove. Did you clean the generator.


Thanks. Yes I did clean the generator. The only thing I didn't clean was the small little fuel tube, so I will try doing that today.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Quote
mikew
Recommend covering the pot to hold heat in and speed up the boil time a little.
Mike
"... at evening time, it shall be light." Zechariah 14:7

Slant Saver #05 Milspec Ops 0045
Quicklite Crew #27
Perfection Heater Collectors #4
Quote
Phredd
Nice job painting the bowl and Bunsen.

I assume you used ultra high temp silver color paint?   Did you oven temper the paint to cure it before you lit it up again?  I did not do that on my first 502 paint job and when I lit the stove up the paint bubbles some on the Bunsen near where the generator goes in.  Since then I do 225deg for 30-40 min, cool down, then 425deg for 30 min, then cool down and let it sit for a 4-5 hours (or overnight).  

Phredd

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Quote
johnvosh
Phredd wrote:
Nice job painting the bowl and Bunsen.

I assume you used ultra high temp silver color paint?   Did you oven temper the paint to cure it before you lit it up again?  I did not do that on my first 502 paint job and when I lit the stove up the paint bubbles some on the Bunsen near where the generator goes in.  Since then I do 225deg for 30-40 min, cool down, then 425deg for 30 min, then cool down and let it sit for a 4-5 hours (or overnight).  

Phredd


Thanks.

No, I didn't do the oven cure thing. I wasn't sure if it would stink up the place as I live in an apartment. But, I did find that ya, after running the burner it has a couple spots near it flaking the paint off. But it looks 100x better than when I got it!
Quote
Phredd
Yeah, I have to do my curing outside cause my better half does not like the smell.  I bought a used toaster oven for 15 bucks and it works great.

Phredd

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Quote
zoomkat
You might be able to do some curing using a Harbor Freight heat gun as they can heat stuff up pretty good.
Quote
johnvosh
Well, I went to go fire up the 502 today and I was able to light it, but it soon flooded. I pulled it all apart and checked to see the 1/4 turn open, what it was doing. It was spraying a stream of fuel out the generator, but it was kinda of sporadic. Well, I pulled the stove completely apart. This is what I found and I don't know how I missed it the first time. This is possibly what has been causing the problems the entire time!

If you look on the side of the pickup tube, you can see a nice line running up it. The tube has split there

I have taken and just placed my first order at Oldcolemanparts for a few little things, so hopefully replacing this will fix my problem.

20190913_151913.jpg 
Quote
zoomkat
If that is a crack, you probably just solder it up with some soft solder.
Quote
Ridge Runner
Wow! That’s quite the split. Definitely sucking too much air.

So...Let’s get another test result after she’s running with the new F/A tube 🔥

— L.J.
Looking for a 10/2015 B-Day Lantern
Don't reinvent the wheel, build a better mouse trap!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater

Quote
mikew
johnvosh wrote:
Well, I went to go fire up the 502 today and I was able to light it, but it soon flooded. I pulled it all apart and checked to see the 1/4 turn open, what it was doing. It was spraying a stream of fuel out the generator, but it was kinda of sporadic. Well, I pulled the stove completely apart. This is what I found and I don't know how I missed it the first time. This is possibly what has been causing the problems the entire time!

If you look on the side of the pickup tube, you can see a nice line running up it. The tube has split there

I have taken and just placed my first order at Oldcolemanparts for a few little things, so hopefully replacing this will fix my problem.

20190913_151913.jpg 


Recently I fettled a red tank Sears that had a split in the outer tube.  Soldered it up and working fine.  
Mike
"... at evening time, it shall be light." Zechariah 14:7

Slant Saver #05 Milspec Ops 0045
Quicklite Crew #27
Perfection Heater Collectors #4
Quote
johnvosh
mikew wrote:


Recently I fettled a red tank Sears that had a split in the outer tube.  Soldered it up and working fine.  


Unfortunately I don't own any soldering equipment and have soldered anything since I was in grade 8 shop class. It's okay though as I have a new tube coming. I might buy a cheap soldering iron and I can use tube to practice on.
Quote
mikew
johnvosh wrote:


Unfortunately I don't own any soldering equipment and have soldered anything since I was in grade 8 shop class. It's okay though as I have a new tube coming. I might buy a cheap soldering iron and I can use tube to practice on.


This type soldering may require  the use of a propane torch, flux, and some plumber's solder which is available at most hardware stores.  I had never soldered anything until about 3 years ago due to a connection leak on a Petromax 829.  Members here gave me excellent instruction.  Since then that ability has come in handy several times.  I'm still not very good at it but can make something functional again.
Mike
"... at evening time, it shall be light." Zechariah 14:7

Slant Saver #05 Milspec Ops 0045
Quicklite Crew #27
Perfection Heater Collectors #4
Quote
zoomkat
A butane torch like below is a good size for working on things like lanterns. Easy to control, plenty hot, and not so large as to possibly damage adjacent parts.

https://www.harborfreight.com/butane-micro-torch-63170.html?_br_psugg_q=torch
Quote
johnvosh
Well my fuel tube and spring came in today, got it installed and got it fired up. It was calm out and a nice warm 12 Celsius out at 7pm tonight. So I put one of my glass pots on the 502 with 1 litre of tap water to do another boil test, with the lid on. Took 10-11 minutes on high to get to a boil. The flame is way better than what is was before and was actually making the surrounding metal glow a nice red. Here are the pics! I took 3 video's as well and will be working on getting them posted.

I did notice every once in a while at the start I was getting a little flame around the outside of the bowl around the generator nut so I had to tighten it just slightly. The last pic is of it at a simmer type level.

20190923_190026.jpg  20190923_190036.jpg  20190923_190154.jpg  20190923_190159.jpg  20190923_190231.jpg  20190923_190946.jpg  20190923_191312.jpg  20190923_191340.jpg  20190923_191533.jpg 
Quote
johnvosh
Video 1

Video 2

Video 3
Quote
TwoCanoes
Congrats!
Quote
Ridge Runner
Looks awesome! Quite the difference on boil time from your first test.

Congratulations on getting it up and running like it's supposed to. That little Band-A-Blu is rippin' nicely now.

— L.J.
Looking for a 10/2015 B-Day Lantern
Don't reinvent the wheel, build a better mouse trap!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater

Quote
johnvosh
Looks awesome! Quite the difference on boil time from your first test.

Congratulations on getting it up and running like it's supposed to. That little Band-A-Blu is rippin' nicely now.


Thanks! Yup, a lot better now, especially since the first time after 20 minutes it wouldn't boil. Is 10-11 minutes about average time for a boil on these little stoves? Maybe if I used my metal pot it would of been slightly quicker......
Quote
johnvosh
TwoCanoes wrote:
Congrats!


Thanks!
Quote
Ridge Runner
johnvosh wrote:


Thanks! Yup, a lot better now, especially since the first time after 20 minutes it wouldn't boil. Is 10-11 minutes about average time for a boil on these little stoves? Maybe if I used my metal pot it would of been slightly quicker......

Seems on par, 'though I've never timed it...even though I wanted to conduct my own test after reading your initial report. I might have to now, lol.

I think you might be right about the metal pot being a bit faster. Glass is a bit of an insulator.

— L.J.
Looking for a 10/2015 B-Day Lantern
Don't reinvent the wheel, build a better mouse trap!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater

Quote
mikew
Nice job!!  Running like she is supposed too.
Mike
"... at evening time, it shall be light." Zechariah 14:7

Slant Saver #05 Milspec Ops 0045
Quicklite Crew #27
Perfection Heater Collectors #4
Quote
Willy
John
How did you make that rusty burner bowl look so pretty?
Quote
JimL
It looks like a perfect flame from here.  I do think that Pyrex sauce pan is slowing you down though.   The 502 isn't a powerhouse, but has the advantage of simmering like no other, which is great for slower cooking or just keeping things hot.   There are plenty of other models of stoves out there you can use if you want your food to burn.  🙂

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Quote
johnvosh
Willy wrote:
John
How did you make that rusty burner bowl look so pretty?


Took and cleaned up the rust a bit and then used VHT flame proof grey primmer for the base coat and then two coats of flat Aluminum VHT flame proof paint. It is kind of flaking off a tiny bit as I didn't cure it in my oven as I didn't want my place to stink. But it should last for a while. It would of been cool to get it re-chromed, but that is probably pretty expensive.
Quote
johnvosh
JimL wrote:
It looks like a perfect flame from here.  I do think that Pyrex sauce pan is slowing you down though.   The 502 isn't a powerhouse, but has the advantage of simmering like no other, which is great for slower cooking or just keeping things hot.   There are plenty of other models of stoves out there you can use if you want your food to burn.  🙂


My grandma had a bunch of these glass pots when I was growing up and I had bought a few, and yes, I find they take quite a long time to heat up. It is funny how anyone would buy these for to do actual cooking, I much prefer my metal pots and t-fal frying pans.
 
I am going to do another test with my metal pot to see the difference!
My grandma had a bunch of these glass pots when I was growing up and I had bought a few, and yes, I find they take quite a long time to heat up. It is funny how anyone would buy these for to do actual cooking, I much prefer my metal pots and t-fal frying pans.
 
I am going to do another test with my metal pot to see the difference!
My grandma had a bunch of these glass pots when I was growing up and I had bought a few, and yes, I find they take quite a long time to heat up. It is funny how anyone would buy these for to do actual cooking, I much prefer my metal pots and t-fal frying pans.
 
I am going to do another test with my metal pot to see the difference!
My grandma had a bunch of these glass pots when I was growing up and I had bought a few, and yes, I find they take quite a long time to heat up. It is funny how anyone would buy these for to do actual cooking, I much prefer my metal pots and t-fal frying pans.

I am going to do another test with my metal pot to see the difference!
Quote
Welcome to the Coleman Collectors Forum, an international forum of Coleman enthusiast and collectors, as such people from all over the world come here to read about Coleman collecting, repair, and to meet and make friends. The pages contained here are intended for the use of amateur collectors and people interested in Coleman collecting, restoration and repair as a hobby. It goes without saying to refrain from political posts, personal attacks and inflammatory posts.

Please note, all postings are the personal opinions of the members posting, the owner, administrators and moderators of the forum do not warrant the accuracy of posted information or endorse the safety of such.