This lantern was in pretty rough shape when I got it. Some dirt, corrosion, and rust. I tied a mantle on and it fired right up, so that confirmed that.
I don’t have any before pics of the entire lantern because my phone had a glitch and erased some photos, but I have some of the fount to give some perspective of the before.
Tore down the lantern and boiled the fount in citric acid for 20 mins. While the fount boiled I soaked the frame in a bath of citric acid too. In the past I had used vinegar, but I wanted to give the citric acid a try. I pulled the FA tube and gave that a vinegar bath and used a vinegar soaked paper towel to wrap around the valve. I did this because the valve was in good shape and I didn’t want to tear in to it if I didn’t have to. This allows me to get the vinegar effect without the full soak. Steel wool finishes it off.
After that, compressed air to blow out the fount after a wash in the sink. Some time to dry out in the sun and lacquer thinner to soak up the water and it was all dry. Then it was steel wool and mag wax to the rescue. Steel wool for the brass, mag wax for the fount, and then just mag wax everything but the vent. The vent gets simple green and a scrub. I left the two red paint chips from some previous era as a tribute.
Assembly is quick.. pulled the pump leather from is oil bath and ran some steel wool on the metal parts of the pump. I was surprised this crusty old pump leather came back to life and in all honesty this pump works really well now. Smooth action. The the valve with a dab of blue loctite. Went in a little crooked due to using my winch mount as a vise.. ok so I got it straight again no problem there. Collar went on perfect, valve clocked precisely where it needed to be.
Poured in some fuel, preburned the mantle, pumped it up, and fired right up. This one is burning bright and sounds strong. Another project completed for now.